Last week, New York City's transportation commissioner delivered some good news: No pedestrians have died in traffic-related incidents in 58 days, nearly two months. The announcement came on day 51 of the city's shelter-at-home order, and is the longest such streak on record since the city started recording the various modes of fatalities in 1983, said Department of Transportation spokesman Scott Gastel. Lockdown also appears to have a bonus effect on traffic accidents. Between April 13 and May 10, car collisions declined 69% (from 3,236 to 1,015) compared with the same time last year, New York Police Department spokesperson Sophia Mason told CNN. By the end of May, the city also plans to open up 40 more miles of streets to pedestrians and cyclists.